Martin Vetterli began his second term as EPFL President on 1 January 2021. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from ETH Zurich, a Master of Science degree from Stanford University (1982) and a PhD from EPFL (1986). He taught at Columbia University as an assistant professor and then associate professor. He was subsequently named full professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences at the University of California, Berkeley, before returning to EPFL to head the Audiovisual Communications Laboratory (LCAV). Professor Vetterli’s work on the theory of wavelets, which are used in signal processing, is considered to be of major importance by his peers.
Professor Vetterli knows EPFL inside and out. An EPFL graduate himself, he has been teaching at the school since 1995. He was Vice President for International Affairs and then Institutional Affairs from 2004 to 2011 and served as dean of the School of Computer and Communication Sciences in 2011 and 2012. From 2013 to 2016, he was president of the National Research Council of the Swiss National Science Foundation.
Senior Management (2020)
- Pierre Vandergheynst – Vice Presidency for Education
- Andreas Mortensen – Vice Presidency for Research
- Marc Gruber – Vice Presidency for Innovation until end-February 2021
- Caroline Kuyper – Vice Presidency for Finances
- Edouard Bugnion – Vice Presidency for Information Systems
- Etienne Marclay – Vice President for Human Resources and Operations until 31 July 2020
Matthias Gäumann – Vice President for Human Resources and Operations on an interim basis from 1 August 2020